Depot History: Supply depot's were built throughout the (12)
lighthouse districts to store illuminating oils, fuels, buoys, lenses
and other equipment needed to maintain lighthouses. The first was built
on Staten Island New York in 1864. Detroit received the first depot in
the Great Lakes Region in 1869. The Treasury Department was given part
of property on Mt. Elliot from the United States Marine Hospital.
Construction of a permanent warehouse began in 1871 and completed in
1874. The impressive, unaltered, (3) story brick building still stands.
It has a gabled roof supported by iron trusses and a beautiful arched
doorway. The overall size of the building is 40 feet by 60 feet. It has
been used as the U.S. Coast Guard Group Headquarters until being
recently transferred to the City of Detroit for use as a museum.
Roy B. Westin