History: This beautiful white marble monument stands on the Eastern
end of Detroit's Belle Isle, the largest, city owned island park in the
United states. This memorial was constructed from private donations to
honor the late William Livingstone. He was once President of the Lake
Carriers' Association from 1902 through 1925, the year of his death.
William Livingstone worked hard to promote many improvements in
navigation throughout the St. Lawrence Seaway. One of these being a separate
down-bound channel on the lower Detroit River. When this channel was
finally completed, the Federal Government named it after him.
memorial has a flashing white light that is visible for 16 miles to the
Keith W. Churill