Patricia A. Zyczynski
Status: Inactive, Fully
Location: Round Island,
Height: 59 feet
Access: Boat, many of
the ferry services to Mackinac island provide lighthouse tours
through the Straits of Mackinac.
Attractions: Mackinac Island is located right across the channel.
With no motorized vehicles, the Grand Hotel, the Fort, horse drawn
carriages and all it's natural beauty, this island is a premier
U.S. Coast Guard
History: Originally vessels traveling through the Straits of
Mackinac from the St. Mary's River to Lake Michigan safely traversed
South of Bois Blanc Island then back North. This longer route was
shortened in 1894 with the addition of the Round Island Lighthouse. This
lighthouse guided ships through the passage between Round Island and
Mackinac Island. The lighthouse was first lit in 1895 and operated until 1924 by a keeper and
two assistants. It is constructed on a concrete pier foundation with a
square brick tower. Being automated in 1924, only one man was needed to
maintain it. The U.S. Coast Guard totally abandoned the lighthouse in in
1947. At that time the new Round
Island Passage lighthouse, on the opposite side of the channel, went
into service. The United States Forestry Service now holds deed to the property
since being transferred in 1947.