History: The Sanibel Island Light was constructed in 1884.
This steel structure has a spiral staircase, inside the cylindrical
center structure, leading up to it's now automated beacon. In 1833 the
Secretary of Treasury was first petitioned for a lighthouse on Sanibel
Island. The petition was rejected and brought to life again in 1850's,
1878 and finally accepted in 1881. Congress approved $20,000 adding
another $30,000 one year later. The land to be used belonged to the
State of Florida and was ceded by Florida Governor Bioxham to the
Federal Government in 1883.
1884, the foundation was constructed within three months. The
superstructure of the tower was constructed in New Jersey and being
delivered to the site on a schooner during that time. Two miles from her
final destination, the schooner was shipwrecked and sank. The
construction crew worked to recover all but a few brackets from the
wreckage. Construction resumed with the lighthouse being completed in
August of 1884.
with a third-order lens, the light was first lit on August 20, 1884. The
lens used was initially intended for the Anclote Keys lighthouse. In
1949, the light was automated and transferred to the U.S. Department of