Completed in 1885, this light was
constructed near the Bar Point Shoal on Lake Erie just outside the
entrance to the Detroit River. Many vessels had run aground here, prior
to the lights construction, as they made their turn to enter the river.
A Canadian Lightship was stationed here in 1875 but problems continued
due to confusion of lights between other vessels and both the Canadian
and U.S. shorelines.
appropriated a total of $78,000 for construction of this light. Captain
C.E.L.B. Davis of the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers designed and
supervised the entire program. A timber crib foundation was constructed
in Amherstburg, Ont. measuring 45 feet wide by 18 feet high. On July 3,
1884 it was towed to the site and sank in 22 feet of water and filled
with concrete. A pier of cut stone was then constructed measuring 90
feet by 43 feet by 15 feet high. The pier rests 4 feet below the water
surface. The pier was completed in November and settled 1 1/2 feet out
of level. To level the pier, 550 tons of loose rubble was loaded on
primarily the high side prior to stopping for the winter.
pier had then settled correctly allowing the light tower and fog signal
building to be completed. The cast iron conical tower is 49 feet tall
with a 22 feet diameter base tapering to 18 feet in diameter. Atop the
round watch room stands a ten sided cast iron lantern room.
1907, characteristics of the light exhibited here were was fixed for 30
seconds followed by 6 flashes at 5 second intervals. This was produced
by a single 180° fixed panel and Six 30° bull's-eye panels with the
light rotating at 1 revolution per minute. The current lens now consists
of six 60° panels and three bull's-eye panels with a 60° blind panel