History : In 1897, the shipping channel entering into Toledo
Harbor was dredged deeper and wider to allow for an increase in shipping
traffic. Commerce increased dramatically, requiring the need for a
permanent light to mark the shipping channel.
1901, construction of the light station began with a crib being sunk and
filled with stone. A concrete base was then added to the top of the crib
foundation. Steel frames were then built to support the three-story,
yellow brick keeper's quarters and attached fog signal building. It was
designed with a Romanesque-style construction and living quarters for a
keeper and two assistants. A cylindrical tower of 13 feet in diameter
supports a lantern that is also cylindrical with a diameter of 8 feet 6
inches. The characteristics of this light are two white flashes with a
single red flash. This is produced by a Third and One-half Order Fresnel
lens, manufactured by Barbier & Benard of Paris, with a large 180°
bulls-eye, two smaller 60° bulls-eyes and a ruby red half cylinder of
glass. The rotation was originally operated by a weighted clockwork
mechanism. In 1965 the light was automated with an electric motor now
rotating the lens.
light is still operates as an active aid to navigation and the harbor is
still very busy with grain as one of it's major exports.