In 1897, a
small dwelling was constructed next to the tower giving the keeper much
more room for maintaining the light. Additional protection from Lake Huron's wave
action was needed, piles were added for the keeper's boat along with 17
cubic yards of riprap
around the perimeter
of the crib.
In 1898, a new lamp was
installed increasing it's visibility range to twelve miles.
In 1899, due to rotting wood, the entire crib deck was replaced and to
slow erosion, an
additional 135 cubic yards of
riprap was added to the
lighthouses day-mark was changed in 1901 to increase it's effectiveness.
The tower was re-painted white with a contrasting bright red lantern
majority of the crib was reconstructed in 1903. The wooden structure was
in very bad condition and needed to be replaced. First he light tower
was removed. The timber framework of the crib was then removed to 1 foot
below the water level. The remaining part of the crib, always submerged,
remained well preserved in Lake Huron's cold freshwater.
A concrete pier was the constructed on the remaining crib material.
Faced with masonry, it contained a new oil storage room and a cellar
below the new dwelling. The light tower was re-installed and Iron hand
railings were added to the piers perimeter.
automated fog bell with a characteristic of a single stroke sounding
every 10 seconds was installed in 1911.
The lighthouse was automated in the late 1920's. The kerosene lamp was
replaced with an Acetylene Sun Valve System.
On August 6, 1929, the last keeper assigned to the Cheboygan Crib Light
left the structure.
By the early 1980's
Cheboygan Crib Light had decreased considerably as a needed aid to
At that time,
after evaluating the condition of the structure,
Coast Guard made a decision to scrap the iron tower and dynamite the
Many residents of Cheboygan voiced their opinion in an attempt to save
the century old landmark. The Coast Guard agreed to donate the tower to
the City of Cheboygan for display as a historical attraction. It's new
home was to be on the West breakwater off Gordon Turner Park.
Ryba Marine of Cheboygan received the contract to relocate the tower and
remove the crib. In the 1984, the tower was lifted from the crib and
transported to it's current location on the breakwater. The crib
foundation was removed with Lake Huron now at a depth of 10 feet over
the crib. The glass windows
were replaced with Lexan for safety reasons, and the tower was given a
new coat of white paint. As seen in the above photos, the windows and
door frame received a historically inaccurate coat of bright red paint.
The Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association set to work in August,
all joints on the structure and replacing the Lexan windows. They also
re-painted the tower bringing it back to it's original day-mark with a
white tower, gray gallery and red roof & ventilator ball.