The three story, integral
red-brick tower is 53-foot tall and 12-foot square. Three sides of the
tower are painted white as a
day-mark. There are a total of 56 wrought iron steps leading to the
lantern room. The first two stories have twin windows on the lake side
only. the top floor has single windows on three sides.
Fitted with a Fourth Order Fresnel lens, the light exhibits a white
beacon with a lens focal plane of 66 feet above lake level. The
beacon was first lit on May 1, 1897. It was originally powered by a
weighted clockwork mechanism that had to be reset every four hours.
The entire light station
consists of the light tower and keeper's dwellings, an oil house, a
brick fog signal building with a large steam driven fog signal and two
brick privies. Construction of the entire complex was completed with a
total cost of approximately $25,000.
In 1935, the light was reconstructed.
In 1969, the light was automated with a white beacon now flashing on 6
second intervals. The steam fog signal has since been removed.
Photographer: Keith W. Churill
One of the stations two brick privies.