of the Light :
Muskegon during the 1880's was known as the "Lumber Queen
of the World", home to lumber barons Charles H. Hackley
and Thomas Hume. Just about all the lumber was transported
around the Midwest via the Great Lakes. From 1852 to 1903, the entrance
to the Muskegon River and Lake Muskegon was marked by a beacon atop the
keeper's dwelling on shore. The 48 foot tower, shown above, was
completed in 1903. A semi-circular fourth order Fresnel lense was fitted
with a brass reflector to produce a 180º signal. The conical light on
the short foot pier is one of Michigan's red Lights. It's
red so ships know to enter the mouth of the Muskegon Lake with
the light on the right (starboard) side of the ship, thus the term "
Red Right Returning ".
Attractions: Calling Muskegon home is the
U.S.S. Silversides, a famous submarine of WWII that currently features a
maritime museum. There's plenty to do around the City of
Muskegon, from riding the seemingly endless bike trails to
golfing, sport fishing and lots of nice shops and restaurants.