1852, a newer lighthouse was completed at the end of the North
pier with construction being supervised by the Bureau of
Topographical Engineers. Upon completion the previous lighthouse
was taken out of service. This lighthouse was relocated
approximately 12 miles North to Grosse Point in 1872-1873 as the
chief coastal light for the area.
North breakwater had it's first lighthouse completed in 1876.
This was later replaced by the existing lighthouse.
North arm of Chicago Harbor's outer breakwater was completed in
1917. The entire existing lighthouse tower, originally
constructed in 1893 on the mainland, was relocated to the South
end of the new breakwater. This process was completed in 1919
for a total of $88,000 appropriated by congress.
courtesy of: U.S. Coast Guard
tower in it's original 1852 location of construction on
Chicago's North Pier.