courtesy of: Gulliver Historical Society
Choix Point, MI
Foundation: Ashlar Stone
6 miles East of Manistique, MI
: 78 feet
Car, with parking near the Light
: From US-2 turn South onto Port Inland Rd. Then take County Rd. 431
East to the Light.
courtesy of: U.S. Coast Guard
of the Light : This Light is similar to the South Manitou, Presque
Isle and Au Sable Point Lights, all known as "Poe" style
Lights. She looks over the Northern part of Lake Michigan, guiding ships
around Seul Choix Point and the long under water shoal that extends from her
banks. This area, at end of the 19th Century, was location for a thriving
In 1886, Congress appropriated funds to build a
lighthouse and fog signal on Seul Choix Point.
The light became operational in August 6, 1892
with a Third Order Fresnel lens.
The entire complex, consisting of the light
tower, family / keepers quarters, steam fog signal and boiler
house, stable, boathouse, two oil houses, brick out-house, paint
shed, two docks and a tramway was completed in 1895.
Additional living quarters were added in 1925.
regulation of this light was transferred to the U.S. Coast Guard
and the lens was automated with an airport type beacon. The new
light has a visibility range of 17 miles. The following year ,
full time care of the light station was discontinued.
Roy B. Westin
1977 the Michigan State Department of Natural Resources purchased the
property from the U.S. Coast Guard. Ten years later the Gulliver
Historical Society was established to preserve the lighthouse and all
it's history. By the year 2001, the entire complex, including the
boathouse, has been completely restored. It is now home to a nice gift
shop and museum.
Museum and Tower Hours: Memorial Day through mid October 10:00
a.m. - 6:.00 p.m. seven days a week
Off-season hours may vary - please be sure to call
for verification of hours listed.
Gulliver Historical Society
Historical Society is a
non-profit 501(c) (3) organization
are Tax deductable