New York, New
1875-1884 / 1886
over steel frame
Inactive (national monument)
Day Mark: Green
Height: 305 feet, 151
feet from base of statue to tip of torch.
Location: Bedloe Island
/ New York Harbor
Liberty Island is only accessible by ferry service available daily
from Battery Park in Lower Manhattan and from Liberty State Park in
Jersey City, NJ. A round trip ticket includes stops at both Liberty
Island and Ellis Island. In order to have time to climb to
Liberty's crown viewing area, visitors should plan to arrive at the
statue early in the day. On peak visitation days the wait and the
climb can take more than three hours.
Photo Above Right: The original
1886 torch, located in the base of the statue.
Here you can see the Statue of Liberty with the
unique New York skyline in the background.
Unfortunately this will never be the same without the two World Trade
We dedicate this page to the thousands who lost their lives in the
horrible act of terrorism on Tuesday, September 11, 2001.
The World Trade center was destroyed but Lady Liberty
still stands strong with the will and determination of the United States
of America. God Bless America !
HISTORY: As one of the
most recognizable monuments in the world, the Statue of
Liberty is often not thought of as a lighthouse. Congress
authorized the president to accept the statue from France
in 1877. The people of
gave the Statue to the people of the United States in
recognition of the friendship established during the
American Revolution. The statue was designed with glass
inserts in the sides of the torch held high by Lady
Liberty which would serve not only as a symbol of freedom
but as a light to help ships safely navigate into the
harbor. The Statue was placed upon a granite pedestal
inside the courtyard of the star-shaped walls of Fort Wood
(which had been completed for the War of 1812.) After the
dedication of the statue on October 18, 1886, President
Grover Cleveland turned the statue over to the U. S.
Lighthouse Board two weeks later. The "torch" held high
in Lady Liberty's right hand, then known as
Liberty Enlightening the World, was lit on November
22, 1886. A power plant was specifically located on
Bedloe Island (now Liberty Island) for the purpose of
generating the electricity for the light that beamed from
the torch. Lady Liberty was a real lighthouse for 16
years, from 1886 to 1902, when she was under the care and
operation of the U.S. Lighthouse Board. A keeper maintained
the electric light in the flame of the torch that could be
seen for 24 miles at sea. This was actually the first
lighthouse in the United States to use electricity for the
beacon. The Lighthouse Board
extinguished the "flame" on March 1, 1902, and turned the
station over to the War Department. Due to local
pressure, the War Department maintained a light in the
statue's torch for several more years. The statue and the
island came into the National Park System in 1937. The
Statue was extensively restored in time for her
spectacular centennial on July 4, 1986.
The Statue of
Liberty, also known as "Liberty Enlightening the
World," remains a symbol of hope to millions of
people who see her standing in New York harbor.
Liberty Island can be reached by passenger ferry.
Visitors climb 192 steps in order to reach the top
of the pedestal where there is an observation deck,
or 354 steps to reach the crown. The 25
windows in the crown symbolize gemstones found on
the earth and the heaven's rays shining over the
world. The seven rays of the Liberty's crown
represent the seven seas and continents of the
world. The tablet which the Statue holds in her left
hand contains the date (in Roman numerals) "July 4,
Photo courtesy of:
U.S. Coast Guard
total weight of copper in the Statue is 62,000 pounds (31
tons) and the total weight of steel in the Statue is
250,000 pounds (125 tons).
weight of the Statue's concrete foundation is 54 million
pounds (27,000 tons). The copper sheeting of the Statue is
3/32 of an inch thick or 0.37mm. Winds of 50 miles per
hour cause the Statue to sway 3 inches (7.62cm) and the
torch to sways 5 inches (12.70cm). Upon entering the
base, visitors will immediately notice the original torch
which displays the glass illuminated with an internal
electric light. This torch was replaced during the
statue's major renovation in the 1980's with a solid torch
with a gold color which is illuminated by reflective light
giving the appearance of a lit flame.